I haven’t done this in a while, and this is something I really enjoy: checking out Awards Season fashion and makeup looks! I like picking out my favorites, and thinking why so-so works, how it appeals to me, etc. I’ve been known to recreate a look or two (check out my Anne Hathaway look here, Emma Stone here), just for the heck of it. Well, so how many of you caught the Oscar awards yesterday? Honestly, I haven’t watched it yet (because we don’t own a TV) but thanks to wonders of WWW, here we are. I chose these looks for a couple of reasons, and then all those reasons combined. I think it’s tricky to nail an overall amazing (cohesive or maybe contrasting) look, but when it works, it works. And then of course, on top of all that, there’s personal taste that comes in to play. But for the fun of it, here are’s #AnArtechokeOscars2015 picks…let me know yours, and what you think of mine!
1. Emma Stone – i love her forever, and in my eyes, she can do no wrong! I like that she always looks like she’s having fun, and that her personality always comes through no matter what she’s wearing. She’s been killing it this awards season, and this final look, the chartreuse gown, auburn hair and coral lips is a sensational, offbeat combo!
2. Dakota Johnson – seems to be this year’s darling! Anyway I thought she looked fresh, young (age-appropriate) but fiery (all red everything!). I specially loved her loose ponytail and how her eyes were done in warm tones against her cool, ivory skin.
3. Marion Cotillard – i also always like Marion, she’s the quintessential French girl! Like I said on my IG feed, I love how her modern, quirky gown contrasted with her vintage-y, classic makeup.
4. Sienna Miller– I like how her hair and makeup looked classic and clean while her gown had an interesting silhouette. I like how you can see how her makeup was done, very straight-forward!
5. Naomi Watts – I imagine if I were to go to anywhere close to an Oscars, this is how I would like to look: loose hair, dark plum lips, not so serious gown. But she looks oh so polished and cool so yeah, I’ll take this look thankyouverymuch.
6. Gwyneth Paltrow – I like used to really like good ol Gwynnie before she turned all GOOP-y. Anyway, while she looked like a bit old to be wearing a look this young (age-inappropriate, opposite of no.2), I like her color palette and Barbie-makeup–I think it can translate well to a lot of people. 7. Cate Blanchett – speaking of dressing for one’s age, look at Ms. Blanchett! But then again, everything works on her..it’s HER that makes every look chic and majestic. Nothing extraordinary with her black sheath and barely there makeup but you can’t just dismiss her, ever.
8. Margot Robbie – with a face like Margot, you can do no wrong. I bet if you do the same makeup to anyone else, it wouldn’t look as gorgeous. Anyway, given that, I still like how she kept the look current by keeping her hair down and her makeup fresh (hello, full, brushed up brows!), to prevent the whole look from looking too witch-inspired.
9. Jennifer Lopez – I stopped paying attention to jLo’s thing for plunging necklines a long tima ago, and I thought the gown was too princess, but still you got to give it to her for choosing colors that meld so beautifully with her skin and overall coloring. And then for choosing a what-could-have-been-off pink eye-lip makeup combo. But since her skin was done so beautifully, it just dissolves everything up, like ice cream.
10. Behati Prinsloo – okay, let’s overlook Mrs. Levine’s freakishly long neck for a bit and just marvel at how far a good red lipstick can take you. I like how she kept everything simple and coordinated, and that hair looks easily doable.
Okay, lastly, a question! Which look would you want me to recreate for an FMP (Full Makeup Post)? I got all excited looking at all these glitzy stuff, I might just do one soon!